CHALARIS xylodesign® was responsible for the overall project to build furniture and special construction of wood and CORIAN.
A particularly steep site in the Dionysos area of greater Athens is the location of this free-standing villa that was designed for a couple and their child. In order to create, as was their wish, an open ground floor that forms a uninterrupted continuation from the inside spaces to the outside, the large inclination of the site led to a centrally positioned compact volume. This meant that the design required a strictly organized plan and both design and construction were based on precise detailing where everything is carefully positioned and aligned.
The building has two floors and a basement. The ground floor and entrance level opens mainly towards the back where the external garden space is located to ensure the privacy requested by the family. On the sides and front, where neighbouring buildings are nearby, openings are more carefully located; a wooden grid along the full width of the facade limits insight from the road in front.
Kitchen, dining space and living space are all on this level, with maximum transparency towards the outside-pool area and garden situated at the back. In addition the enclosed space is extended optically towards the outside using the wooden deck as an extension of the living room floor and the balcony above as an extension of the internal ceiling of the floor that floats above.
The CHALARIS xylodesign® took over construction furniture fixed equipment such as doors, wardrobes bedroom, bathroom furniture from wood and CORIAN, special construction wood and CORIAN, pool deck.
- location: Dionysos, Athens
- client: private
- design: 2010, completed 2012
- design team: Tasos Gousis, Joost Frijda, Eddie Roberts, Nota Tsalta, Fotini Anagnostou
- structural Engineer: Filippos Gavalas civil engineer
- mechanical Engineer: Technomech - Ch. Milionis, Z. Tsiatsikas
- landscape architecture: Greenways
- construction: Evedron S.A.
- photographs: Panagiotis Voumvakis, Fotis Traganoudakis
- special construction of wood & CORIAN: CHALARIS xylodesign®